Visa Requirements

What kind of study are you planning to do?

  • If you plan to study more than 12 weeks, then you must apply for a Student Visa
  • People aged 18-30 from some countries, staying less than 12 months, can apply for a Working Holiday Visa
  • If you plan to study for less than 3 months, then you can apply for a Visitor Visa

More information about each VISA below.

How To Enrol

  1. Have you decided on the course you want to study?
  2. Have you checked the SELC Conditions of Enrolment ?
  3. Do you know what kind of visa you need? (Please read these requirements below.)
  4. Decide how you want to enrol:

Download Enrolment Form

Student Visa

If you intend to study for more than 12 weeks:

  • You may need to apply for a student visa.
  • You must enrol for full-time study.
  • You must also pay compulsory Overseas Student Health Cover (OSHC)

From 5 November 2011  the DIAC (Department of Immigration and Citizenship) will no longer be conducting Pre-Visa Assessments (PVA).

The normal enrolment/student visa procedure as followings:

  • Send your completed enrolment form to SELC.
  • SELC will send you a Letter of Offer and an invoice for fees.
  • Pay to SELC the amount on the invoice.
  • When SELC receives your payment, we will issue an electronic Confirmation of Enrolment form (eCoE) necessary for student visa processing.
  • The form will be transmitted through the Internet to the embassy.
  • Submit your completed visa application form along with a copy of eCoE and other required documents to the Australian embassy.

See the DIAC site for more information about studying English on a: student visa.

Working Holiday Visa

Working Holiday Visa holders can study for 4 months. In fact, DIAC recognises 4 months as equivalent to 17 weeks’ study.

People between 18 and 30 from some countries are able to apply for a Working Holiday Maker visa. This visa allows a stay of up to 12 months from the date of first entry to Australia.

You are allowed to do any kind of work in Australia, but can only work for a maximum of 6 months with any one employer. You can also study English for up to 17 weeks.

In Sydney, you can expect a variety of job opportunities unmatched in any other place in Australia if you have a working holiday visa. Studying General English, English for Business Communication or English for Customer Service Communication (Barista) at SELC will help with finding a job. Please see the detail in Courses section of our site!

You can apply for a working holiday maker visa if you have a passport from:

The United Kingdom, Canada, the Netherlands, Japan, the Republic of Ireland, the Republic of Korea, Malta, Germany, Denmark, Sweden, Norway, the Hong Kong Special Administrative Region of the People’s Republic of China, Finland, the Republic of Cyprus, Italy, France and Belgium.

See the DIAC site for more information about studying English on a: working holiday maker visas.

Visitor Visa

If you are going to learn English for less than 3 months, you can travel with a visitor visa. You can study either full-time or part-time courses and medical insurance is not compulsory, although it is recommended. Visitor visas do not allow you to work.

You may be eligible to apply for a tourist visa (visitor visa) online (ETA). Visit the ETA site for more information.